Monday, September 28, 2009

Why I Have Two Birthdays

Chapter 1:
I was actually born on May,21,1963, but On October 14,2007 that all changed.
I suffered my first stroke and lost the first 44 years of my life.
It is very scary not knowing who you are or anyone or thing in your life.
The first thing I remember right after the stroke I was in the E.R. and my nurse asking if I knew who I was and I didn't know. I then heard her telling another nurse that I was at Bob Evans when I had it. I asked the nurse who Bob Evans was it's not a who but a restaurant.
Then the next thing I knew I was in my hospital room and a nurse came in and said Mrs. Horan your husband called and said he'll be here in a little while.
I was like o.k. so I'm married, I wonder what he's like.
Well when he walked in my room I didn't even know him.
I also learned that I was a mother of a 21 year old son Kevin and step-mom to Raymond.
A few hours later he walked in and I didn't even now my own child.
I found out several months later from his best friend how devastated he was by my stroke.
I also remember how dumb the nurse that did my in take was. I had no memory of anything and she was reading my medical history to and asked me if it was all correct, DUH. I have no memory how can I know if it was right. Some people amaze me.
I was in and out of consciousness for two days before I was even told what day it was, because no one would tell me, hoping I would remember.
I was paralyzed on the left side with no memory and blurry vision in my left eye.
Then I had to deal with learning everything all over again which wasn't fun and at times still isn't.
The "fun" part was trying foods, since I didn't know what I liked and what I didn't, because the only thing I was told was that I was allergic to coffee and that eggs and spaghetti sauce made me sick to my stomach.
after nearly two weeks in the hospital I was transferred to a nursing home/rehab center, but that dear readers is another story and it really is another story.
Well that is about it for now and I hope you will enjoy reading my future ramblings.
:)

3 comments:

  1. I remember when my mom told me about your having a stroke. I was in shock and then she told me that didn't remember a single thing. That Preacher walked in and was kidding around with you telling you that he was the president or something like that and since you didn't remember a thing, you thought he was telling the truth.
    Wow!! so have your regained any of your past memories? do things came back when associated with smells or taste or sounds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am remembering somethings.
    Sometimes smells, taste sound, or seeing things will trigger things.
    I saw car one day and asked Ken why it looked familiar, turns out Kevin had sold just before my stroke it was an old Maverick he had owned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I cant imagine how scared you must have been going through this!!!

    ReplyDelete